On Tuesday 3rd of May at 2pm we are delighted to be running a Grand Scheme Media Zoom Masterclass with the legendary comedy producer/writer Victoria Pile. Victoria is the double Emmy-winning creator of Smack the Pony and Green Wing, and has been one of Britain’s most respected comedy producers and directors for three decades. She has also brought us other stand-out comedies Campus (C4) and The Delivery Man (ITV). Graham Smith will review her career, and she will doubtless have great advice for all aspiring comedy writers. There will be an opportunity to ask Victoria questions at the end of the session. Please RSVP to email@example.com by Monday 2nd May to secure your place. This session will be held on zoom and places will be given on a first come, first serve basis. We will let you know by Friday 29th April if you have a place.
Storymade have partnered with Comedy 50:50 to bring three workshops to women and non-binary North East residents 18+.
These are funded by ACE and form part of an outreach plan to develop relationships with writers and performers interested in exploring comedy. They are running alongside R&D for ‘GOSSIPS’, a stage comedy set in 1700’s Newcastle being developed with support from Live Theatre.
Workshop information: Lauren Pattisonin person, Newcastle 19/04/22 2-5pm Lauren is a comedian, actor and writer from Newcastle. Her debut Edinburgh show Lady Muck was a sell-out and gained 5* reviews. It has jet-setted this Geordie funny girl to global fringes & festivals… and fortunately back again to run this workshop. Katherine Ryan thinks she’s funny, so do we. Join her for a creative session in ‘finding your funny’ exploring stand-up, especially if you think this is not for me! Suitable for beginners with a hard-wired OMG I can’t believe I’m doing this sense of panic – you will be in good company and safe hands. ‘Heart wrenching and hilarious’- Sunday Times ‘This is a woman who knows what she is doing when it comes to comedy.’- Funny Women
Alison Carr in person, Newcastle 25/04/2022 2-5pm Alison is a writer from Newcastle. Alison’s play BIRDIE was a Finalist for The Women’s Prize for Playwriting and her immersive comedy-drama THE LAST QUIZ NIGHT ON EARTH is touring until April 2022. She is: under commission with Stephen Joseph Theatre; one of Silent Uproar’s Troublemakers; and is part of the BBC Writers Group North East Voices. Join her for a workshop in monologue writing and creating characters for comedy-drama. “*****Brilliant Comedy” The Reviews Hub, IRIS “Carr’s ear for natural, funny dialogue distinguishes it from the outset” The Stage, CATERPILLAR.
Caroline Hortononline webinar 03/05/2022 5pm Caroline is a multi award-winning writer/performer. Her work is funny, stupid and profound – often wild – often personal – sometimes political. Come and hear how she weaves comedy into the bigger themes that inform her work. Learn more about the writer/performer craft from this brilliant talent as she talks us through her process for making MESS and current work ALL OF ME. “One of the oddest, funniest, saddest pieces of theatre I’ve seen” MESS **** The Independent. “This is a show that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and shakes you, first with laughter, then with dread, then finally with a sense of awe at both the darkness and the light within us all.” ALL OF ME ***** The Independent.
How to apply: Places are limited and early application is encouraged. To help ensure they reach the intended audience please drop us an email (max 200 words), telling us where you live, a little about yourself and what you do and why you’d like to take part, or if you prefer a video (max 90 seconds). Please also add if you’re happy to be added to our mailing list. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Workshop’, followed by the name of the person running the one you’d like to attend. (If you’d like to attend more than one, please order your preferences e.g. ‘Workshop-Caroline-Alison’). Email by 12/04/2022 for LAUREN, confirmation of place by 16/04/2022 Email by 19/04 2022 for ALISON, confirmation of place by 22/04/2022 Email by 26/04/ 2022 for CAROLINE, confirmation of place by 29/04/2022
There will be more regional opportunities to follow with COMEDY 50:50, if these aren’t a fit for you but you’d like to be kept up to date with events, please drop an email requesting to be added to our mailing list with the subject ‘workshops-mailing list’ and also tell us a bit about yourself as above.
Please drop an email to email@example.com if you have questions or access requirements.
We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the UK. Striving to play our part in achieving greater diversity in the areas of gender, race, disability, sexuality, socio-economic background, faith and age.
MASTERCLASS/CASE STUDY THE OTHER ONE WITH HOLLY WALSH
Holly Walsh is a brilliant stand-up comedian and the writer of some of Britain’s best new comedies. She’s an Edinburgh Comedy Award nominee, and has appeared on most of the best-loved comedy panel shows. Holly co-writes Motherland, and created and writes the BBC’s The Other One with Pippa Brown.
Date 14th December 2021
Time 6 – 7pm
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place.
This workshop will be on zoom and last an hour.
These sessions are kindly sponsored by Hat Trick, Angst, Lionsgate, Hartswood & Shiny Button.
Female Pilot Club Networking Event on Wed 7th Dec from 7pm with ‘What we look for in a script’ chat, and also wine.
The Female Pilot Club is about to relaunch our mission to help great female-written comedy take off and fly!
After being grounded for far too long, our first live show back will be a special one-off as part of the JW3 Jewish Comedy festival in March ‘22 so to celebrate, we’re inviting you for a glass of wine and a chinwag.
Abbie and Kay will talk about what they look for in submissions and how to get your script tuned up and ready for a shot at the JW3 showcase, but if you just want to drink wine and chat, you’ll find like-minded comedy writers, producers and maybe the odd commissioner.
There’ll be some exciting news about the soon to be launched Female Pilot Club Podcast, so come on, chocks away, grab yourself a ticket and join us for the Female Pilot Club Winter Social!
We are delighted to announce our latest Grand Scheme Media and Comedy 50:50 online sessions.
Each session will last an hour over zoom with details of time and dates below.
Please RSVP for each session separately to email@example.com. Spaces are limited and and you will only be contacted if you have secured a place in the session.
MASTERCLASS WITH BEX RYCROFT Bex Rycroft is one of Britain’s leading TV directors. Having learnt on the job, working in script supervision/continuity on many shows, including The Wrong Mans, Episodes, and Inside No.9, she then took the director’s reins on shows as diverse as Hollyoaks, Malory Towers, Gap Year and So Awkward.
DATE & TIME Thursday 4th Nov @ 7pm RSVP by 6pm Thursday 28th Oct and we will confirm your place by Sunday 31st Oct
MASTERCLASS WITH FIONA MCDERMOTT Fiona McDermott is Channel 4’s Head of Comedy. She joined the channel in 2011, having worked as a series producer at Zeppotron on 8 Out Of 10 Cats, and Would I Lie to You, and then as a Series Producer at Objective Productions. At Channel 4, she has overseen the commissioning and production of numerous award-winning shows, including Catastrophe, Derry Girls, Feel Good, We Are Lady Parts, and Stath Lets Flats.
DATE & TIME Tuesday 9th Nov @ 2pmRSVP by 6pm Tuesday 2nd Nov and we will confirm your place by Friday 5th Nov
WRITING SKETCH COMEDY TVHow to Start writing sketches for TV and Radio. Grand Scheme Media will take a look through the recurring characters, the catchphrases, the stand-alone sketches, monologues and two-headers, that make great sketch comedy. Graham and Mark will also discuss how to work with comedy performers, in developing their characters for the screen.
DATE & TIME Wednesday 17thNov @ 2pm RSVP by 6pm Wednesday 10th Nov and we will confirm your place by Friday 12th Nov
WORKING IN A WRITERS’ ROOMWhat is a writers’ room? What is a showrunner? All will be revealed in this session, explaining the processes and demands of working collectively with a group of writers on a pre-existing project, under the guidance of the writers’ boss, the Showrunner. DATE & TIME Wednesday 24th Nov @ 2pm RSVP by 6pm Tuesday 16th Nov and and we will confirm your place by Friday 19th Nov
MASTERCLASS/CASE STUDY THE OTHER ONE WITH HOLLY WALSHHolly Walsh is a brilliant stand-up comedian and the writer of some of Britain’s best new comedies. She’s an Edinburgh Comedy Award nominee, and has appeared on most of the best-loved comedy panel shows. She co-writes Motherland, and created and writes the BBC’s The Other One with Pippa Brown.
Time & DateTBC, details to follow soon.
These sessions are kindly sponsored by Hat Trick, Angst, Lionsgate, Hartswood & Shiny Button.
More masterclasses to be announced in the next couple of weeks on email, twitter and the website https://comedy5050.com/
Have you written the next Three Men in a Boat, Bridget Jones’ Diary, or The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? How about Vladimir Putin: Life Coach, The Book of Bunny Suicides or Purple Ronnie’s Little Kama Sutra?
Independent publisher, Vulpine Press, have partnered with Comedy Crowd to discover exciting new comedy novels and humorous non-fiction books for publication.
Vulpine Press distributes internationally through all major retailers, including Barnes & Noble, Waterstones and many independent bookshops and online retailers. Could yours be next?
Phase 1 – Writers are invited to submit a short proposal which synopsises their book, alongside a brief explanation of what makes it different. Please note, we are also accepting submissions from writer-illustrators, provided they are in black and white. Please feel free to attach examples and links to your social media page, if relevant. Submission window open from 19/07/21 – 20/08/21.
Phase 2 – Successful entrants will be asked to provide the first three chapters (or 10,000 words maximum) of their manuscript. In some cases, we may ask to see entire manuscripts, depending on the type of book submitted.
Phase 3 – Following a full read-through, selected authors will be contacted with a view of possible acquisition, editing and publication of their book via Vulpine Press.
Apply now! Deadline: August 20th
For more information and where to apply click on the link https://thecomedycrowd.com/opportunities/vulpine-press-comedy-author/
Lynne Parker, the founder of Funny Women, has been running her comedy workshops since 2009 and is running her first live ‘in person’ Stand Up to Stand Out workshop for over a year. This is the ideal opportunity to reclaim your comedy ‘mojo’ now that venues are opening up and a great introduction for those new to stand up.
We’ve witnessed the genesis of many comedy careers here at Funny Women through our Awards and community events. We’ve helped hundreds of women to gain the confidence to perform on stage and in the boardroom. Now that ‘performances’ will no longer be confined to virtual platforms, regaining your confidence and skills is a top priority.
This workshop covers:
Building the confidence to perform
Developing your personal style or ‘persona’
Introducing techniques to create new material
Advice on how to ‘up your game’
Here’s what past participants say:
“Thanks for a fabulous experience I had a wonderful two hours! I was also blown away by your lovely comments I really never expected anyone to think I had any talent!”
“Thank you so much for your inspiration and the confidence we gained from the workshop.”
“Thank you for hosting a fabulous session on Saturday – the turn out and commitment to everything was great and demonstrates to me how invaluable Funny Women is in showcasing and developing female led comedy.”
This is a two hour workshop and numbers are limited due to social distancing.
Join our Patreon now and take part in this workshop free of charge!
The Comedy Crowd are running a #ComedyCrowdEuros campaign throughout Euro 2020 paying a comedic tribute to supporters, including those whose teams didn’t make the tournament (shout out to the Irish).
They want to see your funny TikTok videos about fandom using the hashtag #ComedyCrowdEuros. Here are some examples of subjects you could cover:
That mate who thinks he can do a better job than the Polish right back because he once had trials for Crewe.
The week in the life of a Scotland supporter
Those left behind by their football obsessed spouses
They will also have some specific challenges running for a week at a time.
The campaign is open from the 4th June until the end of the tournament on the 11 July for you to post your funny 1 minute videos.
The best videos each week will be collated by former Yahoo Sports resident comedians Jim Daly and Dave Bibby (online comedian of the year 2020) to promote across social platforms and The Comedy Crowd network.
To enter simply make your funny video on TikTok and add #ComedyCrowdEuros when posting it, as well as any of the specific challenge hashtags.
Fulwell 73 is launching a competition for short form comedy content.
We want funny, original films to showcase brilliant female talent. Stories, characters, sketches – we are open to everything. Over the next twelve months one film per month will be selected to feature on Fulwell’s YouTube channel and the winners will be paid £150 (per film).
Entries can be submitted by individuals or teams and must include a female director and/or writer. The content must be original comedy created for the competition and ideally between 1 and 5 minutes in length. Films should be best possible quality, 16:9 (widescreen) format, and have sound. The max file size is 128GB. Entries filmed on phones are acceptable.
The competition opens from 1st May 2021 and is ongoing for the next 12 months. Submissions should be sent via We Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org with a short paragraph about yourself.
The winners will be decided by Fulwell 73.
Comedy 50/50 T&C’s
We are thrilled that you have decided to submit an entry to this Comedy 50/50 initiative in conjunction with Fulwell 73.
In submitting your video you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.
The Legal Bits:
1. This initiative is organised by Comedy 50:50 and supported by Fulwell 73 Limited. Comedy 50/50 is a non profit organisation which aims to address the gender imbalance in comedy. Fulwell 73 Limited is a company specialising in production services for the creative industries (both parties referred to as “us” “our” or “we”).
2. Entry to this competition is open to any female writer or performer who are full time residents of the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). Entry is only open to those over the age of 18.
3. Entrants should record a 1 – 5 minute video of their choosing showing their comedic artistic talents. Entry is via e-mail to the following email@example.com You will be asked to provide your name, gender, and verify that you are over 18 years old.
4. All recordings should be submitted in English.
5. Entrants can enter individually, as a pair or as a team .Only one entry per person/pair or team is permitted and the video must be wholly written or directed by the entrant only. If more than one entry is submitted, only the entrant’s first submission will be considered. Female / male creative partnerships are permitted to enter the competition.
6. Please do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or break any laws when creating any content you wish to submit.
7. Entries must be an original piece of work or an account of real events. Anecdotes can feature well known public figures from present day or from history or use real-life experiences as a creative springboard so long as the video is original.
8. Entrants retain the copyright in their entries but you grant us a perpetual non-exclusive royalty-free licence to publish, broadcast (across all media) and post the entry online. This licence will be deemed to include all the necessary rights and permissions to enable such use by us.
9. You confirm that your contribution is your own original work, is not defamatory or unlawful and does not infringe anyone else’s rights (including privacy rights). You also confirm that your contribution is made in your personal (rather than business) capacity and that such contribution does not unfairly promote or further any business activities and has not been contributed for commercial gain. You also confirm that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution.
10. Successful entrants will have their video uploaded to the Fulwell 73 Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKCHTy7BYp5Fik7QoXjz7w for a period of 12 months, however we reserve the right to remove the content before this period elapses for whatever reason. All entrants that appear on the website shall receive a fee of £150.
11. Should Fulwell 73 decide that the content you submit has the potential for development we reserve the right to have a first option for any proposed treatment. If Fulwell 73 decide in our own capacity to proceed with this, we will request a full treatment for each idea, which of course you can decline to particulate in. Should this occur we will provide you with our standard development agreement to be agreed in good faith.
12. We may receive other submissions which resemble your entry and that in some cases similar or identical ideas may be generated independently, we accept no responsibility or liability for this and we are free to use these entries in any capacity in any media throughout the world.
13. Our entire liability to you under these terms and conditions shall be limited to £150 (save that nothing shall limit or exclude our liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or other liability that cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law).
14. By submitting your contribution you allow us to use the material in your contribution in any way we may reasonably choose on a free-of-charge basis in any media throughout the world. Comedy 50/50 hope to be able to use your contribution but cannot guarantee to do so.
15. Any copyright in your contribution will remain with you and this permission is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material you contribute in any way including allowing others to use it.
17. We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions at any stage, if deemed necessary in our opinion.
18. We cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, Internet access, system or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
19. These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales.
Due to popular demand we are offering another chance to attend the Grand Scheme Media online session Working in a Writers’ Room.
WORKING IN A WRITERS’ ROOM
What is a writer’s room? What is a showrunner? All will be revealed in this session, explaining the processes and demands of working collectively with a group of writers on a pre-existing project, under the guidance of the writers’ boss, the Showrunner.
TIME AND DATE Wednesday 21st April @ 11am The session will last for 1 hour Spaces are limited
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on Monday 19th April and we will confirm your place by 6pm. Please note we will only contact you if you have secured a space. Places are selected at random and are limited.
Spirit Studio, Channel X, VAL, Studio Hamburg and Roughcut TV have kindly sponsored these sessions.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date with all our opportunities and latest news.